Friday, October 1, 2010

This blog begins on...

the first day of Yoga Yoga's 40 Day Challenge. Which is coincidently is also the first day of  Vegetarian Awareness Month. I've been making an effort to lead a vegetarian lifestyle for almost a month now. Vegetarian Month has certainly helped me stay focused vegetarianism, but it's not too difficult.

As for yoga. I’ve been practicing for almost two years, give or take a few months that I stopped exercising. I started with free yoga classes at a library. I did this weekly for almost a year. I had a fabulous instructor, Sharon Hughes, and hated giving that up but I wasn’t able to make it to the classes anymore. So I sign up for Hatha Yoga classes at a community center near my home. I wasn’t sure what to think of the class. The instructor didn’t give much guidance or instruction. Actually, she had her eyes closed most of the time! I stopped attending after a while. I practiced at home with videos, magazines and the poses I learned in class with Sharon.
I moved to a new city and continued my home practice sporadically. The Austin Free Day of Yoga (2010) was the event that brought me back to yoga.  Since then I have regained my dedication to yoga. I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding yoga. I’ve also been interested in the anatomy of yoga. While trying to find a class about yoga anatomy, I discovered the Living Yoga Program. It’s something to think about for the future…
Recently, I’ve taken a Vinyasa Flow class at a local athletic store. I must say it was much more advanced than any class I have ever taken but it was great! The instructor challenged me and I was able to do a full-on back bend (!), with the help of spotters. What a great feeling! Needless to say I was not able to do one at home, rats. I learned my weak points, well I knew what they were but always neglected to work on those areas, shame on me. The class forced me to practice poses that will strengthen my arms and core. I still have a long way to go but it’s a start. Did I mention that this class was full of runners? They were cross training athletes. I look forward to returning to that class.  
I also found a class that meets in the park and I am really looking forward to that class. I’ve practiced in the backyard before but never with other people. This should be interesting, plus the weather is getting cooler so it should make for a pleasant practice.     

No comments:

Post a Comment